Seems funny that Turing ".assumed that machines could not operate with
infinite numbers." given that the tape is assumed to be infinite.

wrb

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:59 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Two reasons why computers IMHO cannot exhibit intelligence

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM, benjayk <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Showing scientifically that nature is infinite isn't really possible.

Maybe not. In Turing's proof he assumed that machines could not operate with
infinite numbers, so if there is a theory of everything (and there might not
be) and if you know it and if you can use nothing but that to show
independently of Turing that no machine can solve the Halting Problem then
that would prove that irrational numbers with a infinite number of digits
play no part in the operation of the universe; on the other hand if this new
physical theory shows you how to make such a machine then we'd know that
nature understands and uses infinity. I admit that I used the word " if " a
lot in all that.

   John K Clark