On 9/7/2012 1:11 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 9/6/2012 11:52 AM, Brian Tenneson wrote:

A too much powerful God leads to inconsistency.

What if reality does not always obey the laws of logic?  What
if reality is sometimes inconsistent?

This is a confusion of levels. Logic is rules about truth
preservation in declarative sentences.  Not 'obeying the laws of
logic' just means declaring inconsistent sentences. We try to
avoid this because such utterances would have no determinate
meaning.  So a *descriptions* of reality may be inconsistent (and
therefore useless) but reality is just whatever it is.  It can't
be inconsistent because it's not assertions.

Brent

This could work provided we could separate the world into mental
and physical states. The question remains though if under
physicalism one says that mental states are actually physical
states. Then I do not know how to employ such a consideration in
this case.

I don't see the problem?  Are you saying that two statements cannot
be contradictory because they are both part of reality (which would
not depend on them being physical)?

Brent

Let us try to employ this statement according to the physicalism expressed by Hawking in Grand Design. Everything is determined by the M-theory and a human being is just a biological machine. Then we find two states both described by the M-theory, one corresponding to a consistent statement made by a human being and another to an inconsistent one. What is difference between consistent and inconsistent in this context?

If we use Hawking's analogy from Grand Design with the Game of Life, then the question is as follows. In the Game of Life we have many very complex structures emerging during the game. Why would we call one structure consistent and another inconsistent?

Evgenii