From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-07, 16:22:41
Subject: Re: The All

On 9/7/2012 2:03 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
> On 07.09.2012 13:43 Stephen P. King said the following:

>>> This could work provided we could separate the world into mental
>>> and physical states. The question remains though if under
>>> physicalism one says that mental states are actually physical
>>> states. Then I do not know how to employ such a consideration in
>>> this case.
>>>
>>> Evgenii
>>>
>> Dear Evgenii,
>>
>> What do you imagine would be the consequence of what may be a pair of
>> sets of mental states and physical states for one entity does not
>> match up exactly or even at all with a pair of mental and physical
>> states for another?
>>

> This was a question. I have no idea how to answer it.
>
> Evgenii

Hi Evgenii,

     Consider the mental image that a person suffering from anorexia has
of themselves. It is distorted and false. How does this happen? Consider
the Placebo effect and its complement, the Nocebo effect. Are they not
examples of mental states acting on physical states? How does this
happen if the mental states are just illusions (ala materialism) or the
physical states are just illusions (ala Immaterialism)? Somehow they
must be correlated with each other in some way and which ever way that
is it is one that is not always a one to one and onto map.

--
Onward!

Stephen