Hi Stephen P. King

He left out Spinoza and Leibniz, and didn't do a very good job on Descartes.
The inconsistencies
with Cartesian mind and body theory didn't bother the materialists, but
stimulated Leibniz to create his
Idealistic metaphysics, where mind and body are both mind, so no firewall
between.

It is enlightening to understand all three solutions to the mind/body problem:

 http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091010010606AAaFv8o

"Substance is whatever is essentially underlying types of things.

Descartes: Mind (spirit, soul, thinking) is one subject that is distinguished
by its non-spatial ability to think.
The other is bodies, being spatial and non-thinking. Flaw: substances are such
that they do not share common
features, thus how is the body to be presented to thought (non-spatial to grasp
the spatial?)

Spinoza: Single substance. If substance has nothing to do with another
substance, then it can only find its limits within
 itself (to limit is to have something to do with). if substance can only be
limited by itself, then it must be infinite (the limit of
the substance is itself part of the substance, which in turn must keep going or
be limited by another of the same substance to infinite).
If infinite, it cannot be limited to any other substance, thus only one
infinite substance. Problem: freedom is lost.

Leibniz: Simplicity defines substance. Substances only have one part. Thus ever
complex (many parts) is itself made up of
multiple substances (think atoms)*. God, being perfect, created the most amount
of diversity in substances while creating the best possible world.
Problem: Subs. are self coherent meaning they need no other contact except for
God and themselves. They thus never contact the other substances.

A lot of steps skipped and even more ignored but it was a quick brief answer."

*In my view, since atoms are divisible they cannot be substances.
That leaves the fundamental particles as candidates, but
I class them not to be (specifiable) substances by the uncertainy principle of
Heisenberg.
So nothing extended can be a substance, leaving the inextended to be the only
substances, and hence complete concepts, and if singular, then they are monads.

Treating both mind and body thusly as substances, monads (substances wiuthout
parts)
can act on each other (eg as mind and body) indirectly through gthe Supreme
monad.  You might call that Cosmic Mind.
Fine, I secretly think of it as God.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/8/2012
so that everything could function."