On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

  > God, being inextended,

If God is not extended then He must be very small and that could be the
reason we don't see Him. God is like a germ.

> is invisible to the scientific method and logic

I think you're correct about that, God makes no sense, none whatsoever.

> As far as Hell goes, I believe that burning in exquisite torture forever
> is hyperbole (an overstatement to emphasize a point). Jesus was a rabbi and
> rabbis often taught by means of hyperbole

So Jesus was lying like a rug and He was doing so for the exact same reason
that you or I lie, it helps to convince other people to do what we want
them to do. But such phony scare tactics is not what I'd expect from
someone who was supposed to be  a moral paragon.

> With reference to 1) there is no logical reason to believe in God. Logic
> flies out of the window.

In 100% agreement with you there.

 > God is All-powerful but he's also righteous

Did God create righteousness? If he did then saying God is righteous means
nothing and the only reason for us to be righteous is so we don't anger God
and have Him torture us forever with the greatest skill He can muster; so
we obey God for exactly the same reason the people in occupied France
obeyed the Nazis, fear. On the other hand if God didn't  create
righteousness then He has nothing to do with right and wrong except that
He's supposed to do what's right just like everybody else.

    > So he would not tease you or wish you harm unless you do evil things.

God is threatening to do one hell of a lot more than just tease you! God
may be lying through His teeth but imagine if He is not and imagine if the
Christian God really did exist, it would be worse than living in North
Korea. Here we have an all powerful demon addicted to flattery who can read
your every thought and will torture you, not for a long time, but for
ETERNITY if you take even one small step out of line or break just one of
his many, many, many, rules and they includes thought crimes. To make
matters worse you're not even sure exactly what all his rules are, the
"experts" violently (and I do mean violently) disagree, so you never know
if you're going to be tortured or how to avoid it. This seems pretty
depressing to me and not at all moral, I'll take an indifferent universe
over a sadistic one any day.

Charles Darwin had something to say on this subject:

"Disbelief crept over me at a very slow rate but at last was complete. The
rate was so slow that I felt no distress, and have never since doubted even
for a single second that my conclusion was correct. I can indeed hardly see
how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain
language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and
this would include my Father, Brother and almost all my best friends, will
be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine."

 >  All of these questions and more are answered in any catechism.

Why did God make me?
God made me to know love and praise Him.

Are you really satisfied with those sort of infantile answers?!  And how in
hell can anybody love the invisible man in the sky when He's so damn
unlovable? And how can one praise Him without being a hypocrite? And how
did God develop such a huge inferiority complex that He needs constant
flattery?

> Luther put his whole theology into his catechism,

Martin or Lex?

  John K Clark