From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-12, 15:25:42
Subject: Re: Re: Re: victims of faith

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

?> God, being inextended,

If God is not extended then He must be very small and that could be the reason
we don't see Him. God is like a germ.

> is invisible to the scientific method and logic

I think you're correct about that, God makes no sense, none whatsoever.?

> As far as Hell goes, I believe that burning in exquisite torture forever is
> hyperbole (an overstatement to emphasize a point). Jesus was a rabbi and
> rabbis often taught by means of hyperbole

So Jesus was lying like a rug and He was doing so for the exact same reason
that you or I lie, it helps to convince other people to do what we want them to
do. But such phony scare tactics is not what I'd expect from someone who was
supposed to be? a moral paragon.

> With reference to 1) there is no logical reason to believe in God. Logic
> flies out of?he window.

In 100% agreement with you there.

?> God is All-powerful but he's also righteous

Did God create righteousness? If he did then saying God is righteous means
nothing and the only reason for us to be righteous is so we don't anger God and
have Him torture us forever with the greatest skill He can muster; so we obey
God for exactly the same reason the people in occupied France obeyed the Nazis,
fear. On the other hand if God didn't? create righteousness then He has nothing
to do with right and wrong except that He's supposed to do what's right just
like everybody else.

?? > So he would not tease you or wish you harm unless you do evil things.

God is threatening to do one hell of a lot more than just tease you! God may be
lying through His teeth but imagine if He is not and imagine if the Christian
God really did exist, it would be worse than living in North Korea. Here we
have an all powerful demon addicted to flattery who can read your every thought
and will torture you, not for a long time, but for ETERNITY if you take even
one small step out of line or break just one of his many, many, many, rules and
they includes thought crimes. To make matters worse you're not even sure
exactly what all his rules are, the "experts" violently (and I do mean
violently) disagree, so you never know if you're going to be tortured or how to
avoid it. This seems pretty depressing to me and not at all moral, I'll take an
indifferent universe over a sadistic one any day.

Charles Darwin had something to say on this subject:

"Disbelief crept over me at a very slow rate but at last was complete. The rate
was so slow that I felt no distress, and have never since doubted even for a
single second that my conclusion was correct. I can indeed hardly see how
anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of
the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include
my Father, Brother and almost all my best friends, will be everlastingly
punished. And this is a damnable doctrine."

?>? All of these questions and more are answered in any catechism.

Why did God make me?
God made me to know love and praise Him.

Are you really satisfied with those sort of infantile answers?!? And how in
hell can anybody love the invisible man in the sky when He's so damn unlovable?
And how can one praise Him without being a hypocrite? And how did God develop
such a huge inferiority complex that He needs constant flattery?

> Luther put his whole theology into his catechism,

Martin or Lex?

? John K Clark