From: Alberto G. Corona
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-13, 14:45:42
Subject: Re: victims of faith

2012/9/13 Stathis Papaioannou :
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Alberto G. Corona  wrote:
>> There is no difference at all between religious mitifications and other
>> mitifucatuons . See form, example the paper about Darwin that I posted.
>> religion is a label that appears when the mith is old enough it has enough
>> believers and the object of mitification is far away in time.
>>
>> People are reluctant to admit that they have unfounded beliefs. Specially if
>> they have been educated in the belief that any belief is bad and into the
>> belied that they have no beliefs. But to have a commong ground of beliefs is
>> a prerequisite for individual and social life. I think that my theory of
>> social capital, mytopoesis and belief and the assimilaion of good and truth
>> is sound in evolutuionary terms, and provides a factual/operation definition
>> of Truth in the world of the mind, which is the only world accesible to us.
>
> If I tell you that a spirit appeared to me last night and told me that
> you should give me all your money or else the world will be destroyed,
> what will you say to me? That it's as true as any other myth,
> understandable in evolutionary terms, on a par with scientific fact?
> Or will you just say, without thinking too hard, that it's bullshit?

I suppose that you mean that there are histories that everyone would
identify as bullshit. Well, this changes nothing. A myth by definition
is something believed by a group of people in the past. Most of them
as intelligent or more that you and me . You and me believe in things
that will be myths tomorrow. Most of them created by scientists. The
mith of antropogenic global warming, the myth of cultural determinism
for example.. There are many things that were "scientific" in the past
"race studies" for example. Now there are "gender studies"... they
were, and they are scientific and bullshit at the same time. I hope
that this is clarifying.