On Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:19:30 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:
>  Hi Craig Weinberg
> Consciousness requires an autonomous self.

Human consciousness requires an autonomous human self, but it is not
necessarily true that consciousness requires a 'self'. It makes more sense
to say that an autonomous self and consciousness both require awareness.

> So does life itself. And intelligence.

We don't really know that. We can only speak for our own life and our own
intelligence. I wouldn't presume a self, especially on low levels of
awareness like molecular groupings.

> So, I hagte to say this, but perhaps consciousness and life may be a
> problem with mereology, don't know.

Why is it a problem. Mereology is the public presentation of life, and the
private presentation is the opposite: non-mereology.

> Also, have you seen Jan Smuts' "Holism"?
> Maybe he solved the problem.
> He was a lousy general but a good thinker otherwise.

Nope. I'm familiar with holistic concepts though.