On 9/14/2012 7:05 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Craig Weinberg

His very first sentence is wrong. Conscious experience is an expression of
nonphysical mind,
although it may deal with physical topics.

"It is widely accepted that conscious experience has a physical basis.

Dear Roger,

No, you misunderstand his argument. If "Conscious experience is an expression of nonphysical mind" in a strict "nothing but" sense then consciousness would be completely solipsistic and incapable of even comprehending that it is not all that exists. It is because consciousness is contained to be Boolean representable (and thus finite!) that it can "bet" on its incompleteness and thus go beyond itself, escaping its solipsism.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/14/2012
so that everything could function."

From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-13, 15:03:13
Subject: Zombieopolis Thought Experiment

If anyone is not familiar with David Chalmers "Absent Qualia, Fading Qualia, Dancing
Qualia" You should have a look at it first.

This thought experiment is intended to generalize principles common to both
computationalism and functionalism so that the often confusing objections
surrounding their assumptions can be revealed.

Say that we have the technology to scan the city of New York by means of
releasing 100,000 specially fitted cats into the streets, which will return to
the laboratory in a week's time with a fantastically large amount of data about
what the cats see and feel, smell and taste, hear, their positions and
movements relative to each other, etc.

We now set about computing algorithms to simulate the functions of Brooklyn
such that we can tear down Brooklyn completely and replace it with a simulation
which causes cats released into the simulated environment to behave in the same
way as they would have according to the history of their initial release.

Indeed, cats in Manhattan travel to and from Brooklyn as usual. Perhaps to get
this right, we had to take all of Brooklyn and grind it up in a giant blender
until it becomes a paste of liquified corpses, garbage, concrete, wood, and
glass, and then use this substrate to mold into objects that can be moved
around remotely to suit the expectations of the cats.

Armed with the confidence of the feline thumbs-up, we go ahead and replace
Manhattan and the other boroughs in the same way, effectively turning a city of
millions into a cat-friendly cemetery. While the experiment is not a PR success
(Luddites and Fundamentalists complain loudly about a genocide), our cats
assure us that all is well and the experiment is a great success.

Craig

Onward!

Stephen