From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-14, 12:09:25
Subject: Re: Zombieopolis Thought Experiment

On 9/14/2012 7:05 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> His very first sentence is wrong. Conscious experience is an expression of
> nonphysical mind,
> although it may deal with physical topics.
>
> "It is widely accepted that conscious experience has a physical basis.

Dear Roger,

     No, you misunderstand his argument. If "Conscious experience is an
expression of nonphysical mind" in a strict "nothing but" sense then
consciousness would be completely solipsistic and incapable of even
comprehending that it is not all that exists. It is because
consciousness is contained to be Boolean representable (and thus
finite!) that it can "bet" on its incompleteness and thus go beyond
itself, escaping its solipsism.

> Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
> 9/14/2012
> Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him
> so that everything could function."

> From: Craig Weinberg
> Receiver: everything-list
> Time: 2012-09-13, 15:03:13
> Subject: Zombieopolis Thought Experiment
>

> If anyone is not familiar with David Chalmers "Absent Qualia, Fading Qualia,
> Dancing Qualia" You should have a look at it first.
>
> This thought experiment is intended to generalize principles common to both
> computationalism and functionalism so that the often confusing objections
> surrounding their assumptions can be revealed.
>
> Say that we have the technology to scan the city of New York by means of
> releasing 100,000 specially fitted cats into the streets, which will return
> to the laboratory in a week's time with a fantastically large amount of data
> about what the cats see and feel, smell and taste, hear, their positions and
> movements relative to each other, etc.
>
> We now set about computing algorithms to simulate the functions of Brooklyn
> such that we can tear down Brooklyn completely and replace it with a
> simulation which causes cats released into the simulated environment to
> behave in the same way as they would have according to the history of their
> initial release.
>
> Indeed, cats in Manhattan travel to and from Brooklyn as usual. Perhaps to
> get this right, we had to take all of Brooklyn and grind it up in a giant
> blender until it becomes a paste of liquified corpses, garbage, concrete,
> wood, and glass, and then use this substrate to mold into objects that can be
> moved around remotely to suit the expectations of the cats.
>
> Armed with the confidence of the feline thumbs-up, we go ahead and replace
> Manhattan and the other boroughs in the same way, effectively turning a city
> of millions into a cat-friendly cemetery. While the experiment is not a PR
> success (Luddites and Fundamentalists complain loudly about a genocide), our
> cats assure us that all is well and the experiment is a great success.
>
> Craig

Onward!

Stephen