On 9/26/2012 9:27 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

The problem is the assumption that they can only be one thing if they aren't
the other. This kind of dualism is a prejudice of a particular phase of
scientific development that is overdue for reconciliation. By framing it as
'understandable vs mysterious' instead of public-spatial vs
private-temporal, we close off all possibility for progress. Do you think
that I don't know how effective the reductionist approach has been for
Western Civilization? The Catholic Church was deemed equally effective
during Galileo's time. You misunderstand my perspective and assume that I am
talking about some new force outside of physics when what I am doing is
showing a way of integrating the obvious conditions of our experience with
physics.

  I think that realizing that cells are also our sub-personal experiences
will be the next two centuries of biological science.
But where do you get the idea that replacing a part of a cell with an
equivalent part will make a difference to the cell? You're speculating
that there is some special thing going on in cells that only you know
about and that has never been observed in centuries of laboratory
research. Isn't that a little bit arrogant?

No, Stathis,

Craig is pointing out that functions are not separable in the real world. Nature does not build things in a gears and spring method, every part of a cell is an integral part of a whole. If we are to replicate the function of a cell exactly we must literally replicate all aspects of a cell, or else we are making something completely different.

And you know this...how?