On Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:32:38 AM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>  On 9/26/2012 9:27 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
>
> On 9/27/2012 12:19 AM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com><javascript:>wrote:
>
> The problem is the assumption that they can only be one thing if they
> aren't
> the other. This kind of dualism is a prejudice of a particular phase of
> scientific development that is overdue for reconciliation. By framing it
> as
> 'understandable vs mysterious' instead of public-spatial vs
> private-temporal, we close off all possibility for progress. Do you think
> that I don't know how effective the reductionist approach has been for
> Western Civilization? The Catholic Church was deemed equally effective
> during Galileo's time. You misunderstand my perspective and assume that I
> am
> talking about some new force outside of physics when what I am doing is
> showing a way of integrating the obvious conditions of our experience with
> physics.
>
>   I think that realizing that cells are also our sub-personal experiences
> will be the next two centuries of biological science.
>
> But where do you get the idea that replacing a part of a cell with an
> equivalent part will make a difference to the cell? You're speculating
> that there is some special thing going on in cells that only you know
> about and that has never been observed in centuries of laboratory
> research. Isn't that a little bit arrogant?
>

>  No, Stathis,
>
>     Craig is pointing out that functions are not separable in the real
> world. Nature does not build things in a gears and spring method, every
> part of a cell is an integral part of a whole. If we are to replicate the
> function of a cell exactly we must literally replicate all aspects of a
> cell, or else we are making something completely different.
>

> And you know this...how?
>
> Brent

Because of mortality and morbidity. Cells die. Bodies die. They cannot be
revived, even with formaldehyde and electricity. If you cut a rat in half
and then meticulously sew it back together, you still have two parts of a
dead rat. We know from our own experience as well - we can't replace our
youth with an equivalent part. Quantum wave functions may not seem to care
whether time runs forward or backward, but experience does. We can't take
out a part of a story and expect it to make sense in the same way, just as
we can't replace words in a sentence and have it make sense in the exact
same way. Interchangeability is not a given.

Craig

Craig