On 20 Oct 2012, at 13:35, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

Comp cannot give subjective content,

This is equivalent to saying that comp is false.

By definition of comp, our consciousness remains intact when we get the right computer, featuring the brain at a genuine description level.

Then the math confirms this, even in the ideal case of the arithmetically sound machine, and this by using the most classical definition of belief, knowledge, etc.

can only provide an
objective simulation on the BEHAVIOR of a person (or his physical brain).
This behavioral information can be dealt with by the
philosophy of mind called "functionalism":

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/functionalism/

Here you defend a reductionist conception of what machines and numbers are. It fails already at 3p level, by the incompleteness phenomena. (functionalism is an older version of comp, with the substitution level made implicit, and usually fixed at the neuronal level for the brain, and in that sense comp is a weaker hypothesis than functionalism, as it does not bound the comp subst. level.

"Functionalism in the philosophy of mind is the doctrine that what makes something a mental state of a particular type does not depend on its internal constitution, but rather on the way it functions, or the role it plays, in the system of which it is a part. This doctrine is rooted in Aristotle's conception of the soul, and has antecedents in Hobbes's conception of the mind as a “calculating machine”, but it has become fully articulated (and popularly endorsed) only in the last third of the 20th century. Though the term ‘functionalism’ is used to designate a variety
of positions in a variety of other disciplines, including psychology,
sociology, economics, and architecture, this entry focuses exclusively on functionalism as a philosophical thesis about the nature of mental states."

A criticism of functionalism and hence of comp is that if one only
considers his physical behavior (and possibily but not necessarily his brain's behavior), a person can behave in a certain way but have a different mental content.

Good point, and this is a motivation for making explicit the existence of the level of substitution explicit in the definition.

To survive *for a long time* I would personally ask a correct simulation of the molecular levels of both the neurons and the glial cells in the brain.

The UD Argument does NOT depend on the choice of the substitution level, as long you get a finite digital description relatively to a universal number/theory/machine.

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
10/20/2012