On Monday, October 22, 2012 12:28:41 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> But that's what the brain does, simulate experience from the point of
> view of the owner or liver of the experience. According to some
> theory. You can't talk like if you knew that this is false.

This is the retrospective view of consciousness that takes experience for
granted. How can experience itself be simulated? I can have an experience
within which another experience is simulated, but there is no ontological
basis for the assumption that experience itself - *all experience* can be
somehow not really happening but instead be a non-happening that defines
itself *as if* it is happening. Somewhere, on some level of description,
something has to actually be happening. If the brain simulates experience,
what is it doing with all of those neurotransmitters and cells? Why bother
with a simulation or experience at all? Comp has no business producing such
things at all. If the world is computation, why pretend it isn't - and how
exactly is such a pretending possible.

It's a fun theory, but it's really not a viable explanation for the
universe where we actually live.

Craig