On 09 Nov 2012, at 12:01, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno

In my discussions of intelligence, I define intelligence
as the ability to (fairly freely) make one's own choices.

OK.

That implies through the word "own" that there is a
fixed identity, the chooser

OK.

A picture of this might be the triad:

choice A                 choice B
      \                    /
         The chooser,
     which must have
       a fixed identity

OK.

Is there a chooser in comp ? Meaning a fixed identity ?

Yes. But we might have a problem to know who it is.

Does a Turing machine have a fixed identity to make such choices
(or do anything)?

Perhaps, but the she can become amnesic and forget who she is, and she might be deluded on many things, but she can also remember, but I don't know how much.

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/9/2012