On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:29:42 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

>  On 11/27/2012 10:52 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> The question though is how does that happen? How do tangible things
> interface with logic - how do they know the logic is there, how do they
> 'obey' it, and through what capacity can they express that obedience?
>

> It's the other way around.  Language was invented to describe things and
> logic is just some rules about making inferences in a way such that you
> don't end up inadvertently contradicting yourself.

Right. That's what I'm getting at. Logic didn't invent consciousness. Even
if logic could invent something, it wouldn't be able to tell that it had.
Before arithmetic truths or physical laws can exist, there must first exist
the capacity to detect, discern, and participate in sensory experience of
some kind. That is the only conceivable universal primitive: sense.

Craig