From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-17, 16:55:48
Subject: Re: Avoiding the use of the word God

On 12/17/2012 2:15 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>> Is it possible to define a "relative probability" in the case where
>> it is not possible to count or otherwise partition the members of the
>> ensemble?
>
> Yes. "relative probability" is not necessarily a constructive notion.
Dear Bruno,

     Is this not a confession that there is something fundamentally
non-computable in the notion of a relative measure? I know about this
from my study of the problem of the axiom of choice, but I would like to
see your opinion on this.

>> Not that I know of! If you know how, please explain this to me!
>
> Normally if you follow the UDA you might understand intuitively why
> the relative probability are a priori not constructive. So you can't
> use them in practice, but you still can use them to derive physics,
> notably because the case "P = 1" can be handled at the proposition
> level through the logic of self-references (Bp & Dt, p sigma_1).

     Was it not Penrose that was roundly criticized to claiming that
there had to be something non-computable in physics? It seems that you
might have proven his case! I go much further (faster!) and claim that
this non-constructable aspect is the main reason why there cannot exist
a pre-established harmony in the Laplacean sense of the universe.

--
Onward!

Stephen