On 02 Jan 2013, at 21:46, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:05:10 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
On 1/2/2013 11:13 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:57:34 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 02 Jan 2013, at 02:01, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Chemotherapy Good or Evil?

Better than nothing for most people having some disease.
Worst than THC injection, plausibly for the same group of people.

Here the Evil is only in the fact that minorities hides information from the majority, and this for the minority's interests.
This leads to harmful consequences for the majority.

Bruno

I was thinking more of how chemotherapy is ambiguous as far as it being something which can enhance life by inevitably diminishing it, but sure, the politics of it is an issue also.

If I had to get into a definition of good and evil I would go more toward a political direction - senseless inequality of power tends to lead to corruption and crime. Crime and corruption tends to lead to scapegoating or a misuse of sense. The combination of corrupt actions and distortion of truth to cover them up is probably as close to evil as I can think of.

Anything that causes great net suffering of people can be considered evil: cancer, small pox, AIDS, tsunamis,... I see no reason to limit it to social/political causes.

Do you think that viruses and tsunamis are well served by the label 'Evil'?

I agree. tsunamis, cancer, aids are not evil. It becomes evil when you have cancer and don't get the right medication because some people lie, or when there is a tsunami and you get no help because some people lie. Evil is not the bad per se, but an augmentation of harm (inverse harm reduction) due to other dishonest strategy to improve their wealth.
Evil is moral bad.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/-/LCCxe6VeaN8J .