Dear John,

On 09 Jan 2013, at 17:30, John Mikes wrote:

you know we agree (mostly), you wrote lately that you are "more" agnostic than myself - what I doubt since your "religion" includes numbers and math(logic) and mine not.

My "religion" (I prefer to say: my favorite working hypothesis) is that "we are machine" (to be short). But this cannot even be explained if you doubt things like 43 is prime, etc. Then we can try refuting that theory, especially that I expain that the physical laws are theorems in that theory.

I will be franc John, I have no clue by what you mean when you say that numbers are not part of your religion.

We agree on the deep, I think. We disagree on the amount of agreement between us. I think it is greater than you think :)

What I take for "granted" is our limited capability to learn them all about the infinite complexity of which we formulate a 'model' of the (already) knowable - as adjusted to our present level mind- function.

Terms like "limited", "capacity" are more complex to me than 2+2=4. I can hardly imagine an explanation of "limited capacity" which does not rely on natural numbers relations or something "Turing equivalent".

There is 'evidence' of a steady growing of such knowledge over the millennia of (human) enlightenment. There is N O evidence about it's qualia - i.e. that we CAN comprehend any facet of that infinite complexity. We think in 'facts' and their factual(?) relations what may be absolutely false.

I am not an atheist: I just do not fall for hearsay. I say it in all honesty that "I dunno". Nor am I a materialist - consider the physical world (and conventional sciences) figments how our human mind (??) explains the not-understood phenomena we get a glimps of. You do it by math: an unexplained arithmetics, I do not do it at all.

It is nice to recognize our ignorance, which can only be abyssal (probably so with comp). But this is not a reason to try theories, as this is the only chance to be shown wrong, and to learn a little bit. If you don't do it at all, which is quite wise, you get the empty theory, which is irrefutable, but explains too much. I am just *trying* to get an idea of what is going on.

The best for the New Year

?

I thought you were not believing in arithmetic :)

Best wishes,

Bruno

John M