From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-09, 10:20:25
Subject: Re: Sensing the presence of God

On 09 Jan 2013, at 13:18, Roger Clough wrote:

> According to Plato, all love, all truth, and all beauty comes from
> the One
> (ie God). That being the case, when I experience love, truth or
> beauty, I
> sense God's presence.

I can be OK with this, but this will not convince an atheist, who will
tell you that if "beauty" is god, then he believes in God, but that is
not the God he is talking about when declaring himself an atheist.

An atheist is just someone who does not believe in Santa Claus. Really.

Some people suggests that comp is two times more atheistic than
atheism, because with comp, not only the literal Christian God does
not exist, but the myth or a primitive material universe has to be
abandoned too. I disagree because comp invite us firmly to come back
to the scientific notion of God (transcendental truth at the root of
everything, faith in reincarnation).

Science is always based on a religion. Scientist who pretend to have
no religion are person who take so much their religion for granted
that they cannot doubt it, and so becomes pseudo-priest of some sort.
It is often the case with the (weak) materialist (as almost all people
are still today).

Bruno