On 19 Jan 2013, at 19:51, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> If you concentrate on the fairy tales aspect, you do not help the coming back to seriousness in the field.

There is no "field" of theology, removing the fairy tale aspect of it would be like removing the skin of a toy balloon.

To say that there is no "field" of theology is equivalent to say "I know the answer to the fundamental questions", and that you are not ready to heard any critics.

> If you declare the whole field as intrinsic bs, then it means that you have a theology, and that you are not aware of it,

I'll tell you what I am aware of, that many people, such as yourself, are willing to abandon the idea of God but not the word "God".

I gave you my definition, which is close to the original one used by those where the first to practice the scientific attitude in a systematic way, in *all* field. You seems unaware to take distance from your religious (or pseudo- religious) education. I might underestimate the brainwashing, and overestimate your rationality.

>> name something of interest theology has discovered in the last century, and if that's too hard try the last millennium.

> Theology was part of science, and most of aristotelian science is born from the naive aristotelianism. So I would not separate the progress in science from a slow refutation of a part of the greek theology, done up to now, mainly of Aristotle's physics, biology. But why should we stop. Comp refutes Aristotle's theology and bring a simple (arithmetical) intepretation of Plotinus.

All that is very nice, but name something of interest theology has discovered in the last century, and if that's too hard try the last millennium.

"interest" is subjective. Without even naive religion, science would have just not developed. Science is a natural product of the theological research. Too bad that for political reason human science is still full of taboo.

> You confirm that atheists are de facto an ally of the Aristotelian theologian.

Wow, calling a guy know for disliking religion religious, never heard that one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.

You repeat yourself. If you are not conscious of the dogma you support, it makes hopeless to open your mind on the fundamental inquiry. You know already the truth.

> by definition, "God" is the ultimate reality,

As I said before many people, such as yourself, are willing to abandon the idea of God but not the word "God".

As I said, I take the original concept, beyond the people wishful thinking, which is natural in that field (by the fear of death), and which is commonly exploited (by the fear sellers).