On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> There is no "field" of theology, removing the fairy tale aspect of it
>> would be like removing the skin of a toy balloon.
>>

> To say that there is no "field" of theology is equivalent to say "I know
> the answer to the fundamental questions",

It is equivalent to saying that the "field" of theology has never once in
its entire history explained anything about anything. And it is equivalent
to saying that many things about the universe are so mysterious that I
don't even have a theory to explain them because unlike theologians I
believe that no theory is far superior to a theory that is obviously very
very very stupid. I define a stupid theory not as a theory that is
necessarily wrong (the Steady State Theory was wrong but not stupid) but as
a theory that explains nothing, such as the God theory.

>> I'll tell you what I am aware of, that many people, such as yourself,
>> are willing to abandon the idea of God but not the word "God"
>

 > I gave you my definition,

 That is true you did, you said "by definition, "God" is the ultimate
reality".

> > which is close to the original one used by those where the first to
>  practice the scientific attitude in a systematic way, in *all* field.

That is also true, everybody believes in that. And so I want to thank you
for buying my course and congratulate you for finishing the first 2 steps
in my patented home study course BECOMING A LIBERAL THEOLOGIAN IN JUST 4
EASY STEPS, namely:

STEP 1) Find something that everybody believes exists, it doesn't matter
what it is.
STEP 2) Define the word "God" as meaning that thing whatever it may be.

Now you just need to complete the remaining 2 steps to become a official
liberal theologian:

STEP 3) Declare that you have proven the existence of God.
STEP 4) There is no step 4 because step 3 leads nowhere.

>> All that is very nice, but name something of interest theology has
>> discovered in the last century, and if that's too hard try the last
>> millennium.
>>

> > "interest" is subjective.

OK, then tell me something that you think is of interest that theology has
discovered in the last century, and if that's too hard try the last
millennium. I have asked this question several times and on each occasion
you have used legalese and weasel words to avoid giving a clear answer; but
if I had asked the same question about mathematics or physics or astronomy
or chemistry or biology or art or literature or even politics you would not
have needed to hire a lawyer but would have simply supplied a long list of
wonderful achievements.

>> Wow, calling a guy know for disliking religion religious, never heard
>> that one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.
>>

> > You repeat yourself.

I know. So do you.

> If you are not conscious of the dogma you support,

Wow, calling a guy know for disliking religion religious, never heard that
one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.

  John K Clark