On 24 Jan 2013, at 17:33, Richard Ruquist wrote:

This is exactly what happened to Islam in the 1300s.
After the fundamentalists took over, rationality was dispensed with,
and centuries of scientific progress were deemed sufficient for Islam
for all time. And so it seems that Islam went from world leadership in
science to where it is today.

Fortunately the same did not happen to the Christians. But based on
John's comments, I wonder why not.

I would say it did, but much earlier, in 523 after JC.

I wrote in another forum:

Theology is born as a science, but in 523 after JC, we have separated the spiritual from the rational, and we are still paying the big price.

In the human science we act irrationally, as human history illustrates sadly.

Yet, the rational is the genuine path of the spiritual, and the religions which deny this can only be based on bad faith, or special interests.

I agree with Brent, science has plausibly regressed when the authoritative argument in theology has installed itself, and the Enlightenment is half enlightenment as non conventional theology did not yet go through.

But with the development of technologies we can't afford the luxury to be sleepy on the deep questions.

The choice is between lying a short period of time and evolving from little catastrophes, or lying for a long period of time and evolving from big catastrophes. Somehow.

Bruno

Richard