In fact it is just the opposite:  the position of Luther, like the one of
Ocham or Duns Scoto, which were strongly anti-reason, created the modern
science and  were precursors of the most radical forms of Positivism.

Why? It is simple to understand: The three of them were against the use of
reason in MORAL matters, in the knowledge of what is Good and what is Evil
and in the knowledge of God, and in the meaning of life. They were against
the use of Greek philosophy to interpret and complement the knowledge of
the biblical revelation (the naturalist knowledge about these matters was
called "natural revelation"). But they were not agains the use of science
in any non religious matters. So they stablished the modern radical
separation between faith and science, between "is" and "ough" . (which I
strongly think is at the root of the contemporary social diseases )

Islam took a more radical path, While the protestants proclaimed the
independence of God from any natural  limitation of moral reasoning
stablished by greek philosophy, but admitted natural causations, so science
in the modern sense was not only possible but promoted,  the main schools
of Islam proclaimed no natural causation. For Islam, life was a continuous
miracle, and what appeared to be laws were nothing but the customs of Allá
that would change at any moment. So there was no motive to study what may
change at any moment.

Dr.Pervez Hoodbhoy, a Pakistani physicist and professor at Quaid-e-Azam
University in
Islamabad, said, according to The New York Times (10/30/2001), that “it was
not
Islamic to say that combining hydrogen and oxygen makes water. ‘You were
supposed to say that when you bring hydrogen and oxygen together then by
the will of
Allah water was created.’”

Alberto