2013/1/24 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

> On 1/24/2013 9:41 AM, Alberto G. Corona wrote:
>
>> In fact it is just the opposite:  the position of Luther, like the one of
>> Ocham or Duns Scoto, which were strongly anti-reason, created the modern
>> science and  were precursors of the most radical forms of Positivism.
>>

> They were anti-rationlism, the idea that knowledge of the world could be
> arrived at by arm chair cogitation.  A 'precursor' to radical positivism
> would be moderate postivism whose precursor would simply be empiricism

that is ahistoric. Rationalism did not exist at that time. You have to know
the mentality of that time and what where their main philosophical
preocupations. That is something that you have not the least intention to
know.

>> Why? It is simple to understand: The three of them were against the use
>> of reason in MORAL matters, in the knowledge of what is Good and what is
>> Evil and in the knowledge of God, and in the meaning of life. They were
>> against the use of Greek philosophy to interpret and complement the
>> knowledge of the biblical revelation (the naturalist knowledge about these
>> matters was called "natural revelation"). But they were not agains the use
>> of science in any non religious matters. So they stablished the modern
>> radical separation between faith and science, between "is" and "ough" .
>> (which I strongly think is at the root of the contemporary social diseases )
>>
>> Islam took a more radical path, While the protestants proclaimed the
>> independence of God from any natural  limitation of moral reasoning
>> stablished by greek philosophy, but admitted natural causations, so science
>> in the modern sense was not only possible but promoted,  the main schools
>> of Islam proclaimed no natural causation. For Islam, life was a continuous
>> miracle,
>>

> Exactly as argued by Aquinas who formulated the Church doctrine that God
> is the ground of all being and continuously sustains the world.
>
> That is not true.  With almost as contempt for the details as you, I would
say that the God of Aquinas was limited by reason. That is exactly what
Duns Scotus, Ocham and Luther rejected.

--
Alberto.