On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/2/5 Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>

>>> Because that's the god of theism - hence a-theism.
>>

>> So are you also an a-deist?  What about an a-Brahmanist, or
>> a-Hyper-intelligent-simlatorist?
>>

>>>  You say it
>>>>

>>> Not at all.  All the atheists I know allow that a deist god is more
>>> likely to exist than a theist god.
>>

>> They still (I would think) put that probability less than 50%.
>>

>>>  You would have to
>>>>

>>> I don't have to 'disqualify' them (whatever that means); I just fail to
>>> put any credence in them.
>>

>> How do you differentiate yourself from agnostics, who also fail to put
>> any credence in them?

>>> Not all what do?
>>

>> Not all Christians define God as an omniscient, omnipotent, benevolent
>> creator person who wants us to worship him.
>>

> Then they're not Christians... christianity is defined by a set of dogmas
> (hey dogma is what define religions), so if you doubt the basic dogmas of
> christianity, why would you call yourself a christian ??

So Thomas Aquinas was not a christian, because he understood
the incompatibility of omniscience and omnipotence.

>>>  I just took the proportion of the world population that self identified
>>> as Christian, Muslim, and Jew.  The major remaining portions are
>>> non-believers and Hindus.

>> That is not my view.  I am trying to ascertain what is the God that
>> atheists disbelieve in, and if it is one in particular (and not all of
>> them, which is what I thought most atheists believed (e.g. Richard Dawkins
>> and John Clark say they believe in zero Gods)), why have they chosen some
>> particular religion's God instead of others?  Are there Gods atheists
>> believe in but do not tell anyone about?
>>

> I do not believe in any *personified* gods, and in any *dogmas*, so in
> that settings I would call myself an atheist. I'm agnostic about what I
> could call an existential force, a reality "maker"... Religions does not
> allows doubt, questionning, religions is about dogmas. I would side with
> John in saying that wanting to use god for something else than the accepted
> meaning (which means a super *being*/*person*) is wrong. I can accept the
> notion of the One (which is not a person), the one is not a *god* in that
> sense.
>
> But when you talk with religious zealot, saying you're agnostic means to
> them that they could enrol you in their dogma, and so to them I really
> prefer saying I'm an atheist, because really I don't believe their BS, I
> don't want to believe, I want to doubt, question, search answers, religions
> gives non-questionable "answers", religions are not about seeking truth, it
> is just "shut up and believe".

My point is there are various levels of sophistication in understanding.  A
three-year-old might have some concept of numbers, and so does a PhD
mathematician. Their understandings may be incomparable, but you could say
they both have some belief in numbers.  The fact that many people might
have little understanding in certain field is not an appropriate reason to
say there is nothing of any interest in that field.

Jason