On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:00:05 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

>  On 2/5/2013 11:02 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:14:07 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013  PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>  > Unpopular religions are denounced as cults.
>>>

>> A religion is just a cult with good PR.
>>

> It's interesting. I would be curious to know whether every established
> religion intentionally sought legitimacy at some point,
>

> What would that mean? Legal? Where there is official government
> recognition of religion (and probably tax breaks) the answer would be that
> they sought the recognition.  And all that you can consider 'established'
> have sought adherents.  But "legitimacy"??  I'm not sure how that world can
> be attached to "religion".

Not necessarily a government recognition, but community acceptance.
Something enjoyed by Episcopalians but not the Satanic church. Some Wiccans
seem to be seeking a more conventional status within the community, i.e
petitioning the military to provide a choice for Wiccan symbols on
gravestones.

Craig