What an extraordinarily interesting idea, Craig! I'll have to let Brian Eno
know about this. Eno was recently talking about the possibilities of a new kind
of "inaudible music". Actually, John Cage already "invented" that in the '50s
with his infamous piece "4'.33" " - where the pianist walks to the keyboard,
sits there for 4 minutes and 33 seconds (without playing anything) and then
gets up and leaves. The "music" is in fact all the little reactionary giggles,
guffaws, sighs etc. of the audience's outraged reaction. Also the tweets of the
little birdies in the trees outside etc. It qualifies as music because each and
every performance of 4'. 33" is different. The environment interprets the
score; the performer is merely the catalyst. And I can assure you, good old
John Cage was no stranger to the odd hallucinogenic experience.

Can we encode the music of silence in binary?

Kim