On Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:54:38 PM UTC-5, Kim Jones wrote:

> What an extraordinarily interesting idea, Craig! I'll have to let Brian
> Eno know about this. Eno was recently talking about the possibilities of a
> new kind of "inaudible music". Actually, John Cage already "invented" that
> in the '50s with his infamous piece "4'.33" " - where the pianist walks to
> the keyboard, sits there for 4 minutes and 33 seconds (without playing
> anything) and then gets up and leaves. The "music" is in fact all the
> little reactionary giggles, guffaws, sighs etc. of the audience's outraged
> reaction. Also the tweets of the little birdies in the trees outside etc.
> It qualifies as music because each and every performance of 4'. 33" is
> different. The environment interprets the score; the performer is merely
> the catalyst. And I can assure you, good old John Cage was no stranger to
> the odd hallucinogenic experience.

Yes, I'm familiar with all of that. The history of art and music is full of
conceptual provocations, from Malevich to Duchamp, Shoenberg to Zappa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACCAF04wSs

While I agree that these can be very interesting and imaginative, they
hardly disprove my point. Music is in no danger of being replaced by silent
representations of music.

> Can we encode the music of silence in binary?

We can't encode any music in binary, we can only encode instructions for an
instrument to stimulate human ears in a way that we find musical, or silent.

Craig