On 2/25/2013 11:19 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:21:28 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 2/24/2013 1:19 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

    On Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:24:47 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

        On Sat, Feb 23, 2013  Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:

            > I guess you are serious then that you think that a computer can
tell
            whether an mp3 is supposed to be music or graphics.

        If the computer can not tell the difference between a picture file and
a music
        file then it will have a nervous breakdown and crash. You can prove
this by
        lying to the computer and deliberately misleading it, just rename the
picture
        file picture.gif to picture.mp3 and see what happens. If looks like a
picture
        file to the computer but you're telling it that it's a music file, the
        contradictory information will totally confuse the poor machine and it
will die.

    There's no contradiction in information that relates to the difference
between
    audio and visual experience. You could open either the mp3 or gif as sound
or image
    if you used an app which would allow opening raw data. It used to be easier
to do
    that, but our freedom and control over the software that we run has steadily
    declined over the years.

    Right.  And you have no choice whether to experience acoustic pressure
waves as
    sound or images.  But if you have synasthesia you may experience both.

The difference is that we can tell when we have synesthesia, but a computer
can't.

Whatever Craig can do, a computer can't - because otherwise Craig would not be superior to a computer.

As long as it has the data, it doesn't care whether or not there is an expectation of audio or visual presentation... because there is no reason to suspect a higher level of presentation for a computer, other than assuming the pathetic fallacy by failure of imagination.

Hmm. Which of us is failing to imagine a there can be a higher level of presentation for a computer?