On Monday, February 25, 2013 12:58:31 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>

>>> and a music file then it will have a nervous breakdown and crash. You can
>>> prove this by lying to the computer and deliberately misleading it, just
>>> rename the picture file picture.gif to picture.mp3 and see what happens. If
>>> looks like a picture file to the computer but you're telling it that it's a
>>> music file, the contradictory information will totally confuse the poor
>>> machine and it will die.
>>>

>> >There's no contradiction in information that relates to the difference
>> between audio and visual experience.
>>

> I never said there was such a contradiction. What I said was that when a
> computer is operating correctly it can most certainly tell the difference
> between a audio and a video file,

Absolutely false. It can tell the difference between one file format and
another, but there is no relation between a file format and the ability for
that file to be output to a screen as opposed to a speaker. I have opened
music files before as bitmaps. You can still open an mp3 file as text in
Windows by renaming it's extender. (Looks like this
LÉŽY ²x(|, µî)lÚT l o7ˆBE biã}Ú , [UB  ÕëqÞ~le‰kr§Å÷^¾4 æ_Ì`ÜwÍÄ  ¼õº=ÿj»ôýç
w ¼ã8vYM ”;Ø‹ K .…    F°ÌA£¦!uÄ4Ú±ñM y½÷Ò+®>÷ï¸H˜—Ÿyþoªxˆ™ c
qN'…š^ª5ù§¶¸e¨W½ïÿó‚À¼1 ú€ Þ ÝNêw¦ §¹R` Ñ”€¨ó
㦠Vm †A gcÈ X @P\D†D¾hL     ƒ Dª:@;   )ã=Èé? Ì®ÂÙ6H­¶„5Ùd-#´ ojÔcÆÔ
SR-C\b< ˜ ÌÍ–-°å¾?R ,Ô §kÙcæYqLÞ:’wz²B æ)

If a computer could tell the difference between an audio file and a video
file, you wouldn't need file extenders or program associations. It would
just open the right program based on the smell of the bytes.

> when the computer makes a mistake in this determination, if you were to
> deliberately mislead it for example, the machine will simply stop operating
> and produce nothing,

As you can see from my sample above, your assertion is false. The machine
is happy to crap out ASCII garbage instead of music just by telling it that
it is looking at a txt file.

> and nothing is certainly different from something, something like music or
> a picture. So "a computer can tell whether an mp3 is supposed to be music
> or graphics".

Since you are 100% wrong about all of that, maybe you should re-examine
your argument.

Craig