On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:53:23 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> >> If you can't demonstrate that one carbon atom is intelligent or
> conscious
> >> does that mean that trillions of them together can't be either?
> >

> > If your model of physics doesn't include intelligence then it can't
> > interpret any behaviors as intelligent or conscious. Determinism is not
> even
> > physics, it is an ideology based on the behaviors of objects. The
> problem
> > with it is that rather than making the obvious discovery that no amount
> of
> > pure objects equals a subject, it tries to insert some cloud of endless
> > possibilities in between one object and many objects which obscures the
> > obvious. If trillions of something make a subject, then you have to
> explain
> > why that should be the case - what deterministic purpose does the
> subject
> > serve, how does it come to be even a possibility if it serves no
> purpose,
> > etc.
>
> The theory is that lots of atoms put together in a specific way lead
> to intelligence, just as lots of atoms put together in a specific way
> lead to gas giant planets.

How is that different in principle from the theory that particular
incantations lead to the appearance of demons?

> The potential for the gas giant planet was
> in the atoms and the potential for intelligence was also in the atoms.

The gas giant planet makes sense given our experience of seeing many small
objects from a distance as a cloud or haze. A planet is just a collection
of atoms at different densities. Why would that equate to an expectation
for intelligence in atoms (or empathy, imagination, sense of humor, or any
other magical powers)?

Craig