On Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:37:21 AM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> >> Who are you to say that natural phenomena are superfluous?
> >

> > Who are you to say that they aren't?
>
> The natural world is as it is.

I agree, and as part of the natural world, I am evidence of intention and
free will as physical facts of the natural world.

> It's not my place to say the the Great
> Red Spot of Jupiter is superfluous, that the electron is superfluous,
> or that intelligent apes are superfluous.

My point was not to claim that consciousness is actually superfluous in the
real world but to point out the absurdity of your worldview, the logic of
which insists that consciousness must be superfluous since it adds nothing
to the functions which you claim the universe can only consist of. Of
course my view is always that consciousness is the indispensable  ground of
existence itself, so I am not suggesting by any means that consciousness
could ever be actually superfluous in this universe.

Craig