On 20 Mar 2013, at 19:16, Craig Weinberg wrote:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130320115111.htm

"We are examining the activity in the cerebral cortex as a whole. The brain is a non-stop, always-active system. When we perceive something, the information does not end up in a specific part of our brain. Rather, it is added to the brain's existing activity. If we measure the electrochemical activity of the whole cortex, we find wave-like patterns. This shows that brain activity is not local but rather that activity constantly moves from one part of the brain to another."

Please, don't confuse the very particular neuro-philosophy with the much weaker assumption of computationalism.
Wave-like pattern are typically computable functions.
(I mentioned this when saying that I would say yes to a doctor only if he copies my glial cells at the right chemical level).

There are just no evidence for non computable activities acting in a relevant way in the biological organism, or actually even in the physical universe. You could point on the the wave packet reduction, but it does not make much sense by itself.

Not looking very charitable to the bottom-up, neuron machine view.

Ideas don't need charity but in this case it is totally charitable, even with neurophilosophy, given that in your example, those waves still seem neuron driven.

Bruno

Craig