On Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:28:24 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2013, at 19:16, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130320115111.htm
>
> "We are examining the activity in the cerebral cortex *as a whole*. The
> brain is a non-stop, always-active system. When we perceive something, the
> information does not end up in a specific *part* of our brain. Rather, it
> is added to the brain's existing activity. If we measure the
> electrochemical activity of the whole cortex, we find wave-like patterns.
> This shows that brain activity is not local but rather that activity
> constantly moves from one part of the brain to another."
>

> Please, don't confuse the very particular neuro-philosophy with the much
> weaker assumption of computationalism.
> Wave-like pattern are typically computable functions.
> (I mentioned this when saying that I would say yes to a doctor only if he
> copies my glial cells at the right chemical level).
>
> There are just no evidence for non computable activities acting in a
> relevant way in the biological organism, or actually even in the physical
> universe.
> You could point on the the wave packet reduction, but it does not make
> much sense by itself.

Right, I'm not arguing this as evidence of non-comp. Even if there was
non-comp activity in the brain, nothing that we could use to detect it
would be able to find anything since we would only know how to use an
exrternal detection instrument computationally. Mainly I posted this to
show the direction that the scientific evidence is leading us does not
support any kind of narrow folk-neuroscience of point to point
chain-reactions.

> Not looking very charitable to the bottom-up, neuron machine view.
>

> Ideas don't need charity  but in this case it is totally charitable, even
> with neurophilosophy, given that in your example, those waves still seem
> neuron driven.

How do you know that it seem neuron driven rather than whole brain driven?
What would it look like if the brain as a whole were driving the neurons?

Craig