On 29 Mar 2013, at 16:02, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Friday, March 29, 2013 10:47:09 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 29 Mar 2013, at 10:44, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2013/3/29 Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be>

On 28 Mar 2013, at 18:59, meekerdb wrote:

On 3/28/2013 7:52 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Intelligence, in my opinion is rather easy too. It is a question of "abstract thermodynamic", intelligence is when you get enough heat while young, something like that. It is close to courage, and it is what make competence possible.

??

Competence is the most difficult, as they are distributed on transfinite lattice of incomparable degrees. Some can ask for necessary long work, and can have negative feedback on intelligence.

That sounds like a quibble. Intelligence is usually just thought of as the the ability to learn competence over a very general domain.

That's why I think that intelligence is simple, almost a mental attitude, more akin to courage and humility, than anything else. Competence asks for gift or work, and can often lead to the feeling that we are more intelligent than others, which is the first basic symptom of stupidity.

That sounds more and more "1984"ish... War is peace.

?

Freedom is slavery.

?

Ignorance is strength

I never said that.

I say that awareness of our ignorance is strength. It participates to our intelligence.

That is true only if our intelligence is grounded in something which transcends its own ignorance...

That's what the Löbian machines do, even just by looking inward. That's computer science.

otherwise awareness of our own ignorance is just another layer of ignorance. This carries over to simulation - the ability to discern one thing as more real than another is meaningless unless our sense of realism is grounded in something beyond simulation.

Right. The physical reality, with comp, is not simulable. Nor consciousness. But machines can makes possible for some person to manifest themselves with some other person, with some non negligible probability.

Patterns don't care about patterns, or to quote Deleuze - “Representation fails to capture the affirmed world of difference. Representation has only a single center, a unique and receding perspective, and in the consequence a false depth. It mediates everything, but mobilizes and moves nothing."

That makes sense in comp when describing the machine first person perspective.

In some sense we might argue that the first person associated to a machine, is not really a machine, after all, nor anything describable in any 3p way.

And that is what makes the first person immune for diagonalization, making it possible that [] x -> x. "[]" is not a number. Provably so with []p = Bp & p.

Comp is not so much "I am a machine" that "I (whatever I am) can survive locally with "normal probability" a digital brain/body transplant". What is saved in the process is an immaterial connection between some number, some environments or consistent computational- continuations, and an infinity of universal numbers".

We are not machines, Craig, we borrow machines (arithmetical relations). We are living on the boundaries between the computable and the non computable.

Bruno

Craig

and now more intelligent is stupid.

That's a contradiction and is not what I said. I said that competence, or expertise, can have, and often have, a negative feedback on intelligence. Someone quoted Feynman saying that "Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." That's deeply Löbian, if I can say.

I distinguish "intelligence" from competence. Competence can be evaluated, measured, relatively compared, trained, ... but intelligence is like free will and consciousness: it can be hoped for oneself and others, but it is not measurable, and it corresponds to a state of mind. It is more like an attitude, close to modesty but also courage, as it is what makes it possible for persons to recognize their own mistake. I think that "intelligence" is a protagorean virtue: like consistency it obeys [] x -> ~x.

Bruno

Quentin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-li...@googlegroups.com.