My best example is the Harvard basketball team
which is now getting players into the NBA.

I ran with the cross country team
when I was there as a grad student.
They all got in because of their running ability,
not their intelligence.
That was back in the early 1960s.
So athletes have always had affirmative action
and full scholarships as well.

I was at Union College as an undergrad on full scholarship as a runner.
Back then Union was rated 6th in the nation for small colleges.
But then they decided to go big time in ice hockey
and their rating dropped right out of the top 25
as they are now perceived to be a jock school.

That will not happen to Harvard. But to get a top-rated team in any sport
you have to drop your standards. MIT is the only school I know of that
refuses to do that.