On Fri, Apr 12, 2013  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> flaky as modern cosmology.
>

> > > After several statements of this sort I don't see how anybody who
> values rationality can take anything that Craig Weinberg says seriously.
>

> > That is not valid.

If it's not valid then I do see how somebody who values rationality can
take anything that Craig Weinberg says seriously. But no, I believe I'm a
better judge of what i think than you are and I really think that  I don't
see how anybody who values rationality can take anything that Craig
Weinberg says seriously.

> > It is not because a statement made by an entity is not correct that all
> statements (or all reasonings) made by that entity is not correct (or
> valid).

Given the fact that you are mortal and only have a finite amount of time to
listen to anybody say anything if you knew that somebody passionately
believed that the earth was flat would you really carefully listen to what
he had to say about ANYTHING? Belief in astrology and numerology is just as
bad as a flat earth.

> To be sure, I would not defend that precise statement made by Craig,

I would sincerely hope that you wouldn't defend a statement that was even
approximately like the one made by Craig, otherwise I've been on the wrong
list for over a year.

> Many scientists have rejected the existence of lucid dreams, only because
> it was published in a journal of parapsychology.

I have no trouble with the idea of lucid dreaming, even Feynman said he
could do it in the 1930's when he was a student, but given their track
record I wouldn't trust one word I read about anything in a journal of
parapsychology, so there is no point in my reading them.

  John K Clark