On 21 Apr 2013, at 16:41, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 20 Apr 2013, at 19:15, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

Then you're conception of aesthetics is more limited than that of old Greeks who saw number relations giving rise to beauty ( => computing results in aesthetic experience of music) that paved the way for all forms of harmony we are familiar with today.

You can verify this connection between number and beauty/aesthetic experience by consulting Donald Duck, keeper of absolute truth and sense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRD4gb0p5RM

Donald makes a some good plausible points about this. Better than "I do", in any case.

:) PGC

Lovely :)

Musinum, by Kindermann, also relates number, number sequences, and music:

http://reglos.de/musinum/

Like with the Mandelbrot set, simple number can generate "rich" music, if I dare to say that to a guitar cowbow :)

The "richest" I guess.

Baroc music is generated by numbers near power of 2.

http://reglos.de/musinum/midi/aintbaroque.mid

I find this one fascinating (generated with few ratio related numbers):

http://reglos.de/musinum/midi/sphere4.mid

Of course the instrument are bad, and the interpreter still a bit sleepy. What is amazing is that the full melody is generated by very few bits.

Thanks for these examples. I collect them, not caring much if the author is scientific journal with huge impact factor or Donald Duck :) PGC

May be you should. It is easy to guess that there are less inadequate statements made by Donald Duck than in the huge impact factor journals. Huge impact factor means only that stupidities might spread more quickly. And peer reviewing might mean we have to wait for the peers' death to get the new news. Löbian, too much Löbian!