On 23 Apr 2013, at 23:21, John Mikes wrote:

And what good does it do to H A V E nations? Starting wars? Looking down on every other nation? Exploiting strangers/foreigners?
Nationalism is a pest in the human world.
You are right saying that it is - sort of - a religious aberration, closely connected with religion itself. So the proposition may be true.
Could anyone LIST the benefits of 'national' existence/feeling?

You just gave the answer above. The advantage of nationalism, and other form of clubism are socially huge (albeit quite local and short termed) : you can rape, torture, exploits the "others". In case of economical problems you can easily complain only on "others", and eventually start wars. It is a common reaction of many mammals when they are put in precarious condition, but some men can resist.

Nationalism is a form of collective solipsism, or collective autism. It is a form of barbary. Religion is supposed to help here, but that's also why religion can be misused and exploited by the "nationalist" of the spiritual. I prefer to call them pseudo-religion, and keep the meliorative sense for the general original generous idea.

Bruno

(Forget about the secondaries: mother tongue, folk-music, lit, etc.)
JM

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com > wrote: This is like economic laws. If we talk about short and long term effects mixed, there is nothing that can be understood.

In the short time, a crisis trigger humans to enhance social capital by adhering to the common values (which are ever religious of some kind) This enhances mutual help and a decrease of conflcts due to discrepancy of individualistic goals. It is a sort of emergency mode.

In the long term, by the same reasons, a group of people that loose its common religious values loose the informal mechanisms of coordination and is going to death, since these values (that are ultimately religious) are much more important and are the foundation of the formal ones.

2013/4/22 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
On the other hand, belief in god seems to correlate with economic collapse:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_belief_in_god.svg

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Former KGB Agent explains: The destruction of America from within
>
> Nations die when they lose their religion.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWlyt2ldKw
>

> Dr. Roger Clough NIST (ret.) 4/22/2013
> http://team.academia.edu/RogerClough
>
> Dr. Roger Clough NIST (ret.) 4/22/2013