On Mon, Apr 22, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> I also believe that some isolated tribes assume everything is conscious.

If they're right then that certainly solves the consciousness problem and
we can move on to solving the REALLY hard problem, figuring out why some
things behave intelligently.

> >> Any logical system must start with unproven axioms and the fewer and
> the simpler the better, and I can't think of a better axiom to start with
> than that one.
>
> > Why? All of current science works fine without it. Its only function is
> religious.

But as I said before, I personally would not work fine if I thought I was
the only conscious being in the universe and I very much doubt that you
would either; unless of course you are not conscious now and never have
been.

>> Do you know for sure that I am conscious?
>>

> No.
>

>> For that matter all you know about me is the ASCII sequences I have
>> produced, so do you even know for sure that I'm not a computer?
>>

> No.

EXCELLENT! Congratulations your views are consistent, and thus your doubts
about the consciousness of a intelligent computer must not be any greater
than your doubts about the consciousness of a intelligent human being.

  John K Clark