On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Stephen Paul King <
> kingstephenp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Brent,
>>
>> I think you may be reading my question in the wrong way.  I didn't mean
>> to equate your consciousness with that of every if/else decision you make,
>> but rather ask something like, "What does the shortest possible program
>> that is conscious look like?"
>>
>> I have trouble seeing why some short piece of code like:
>>
>> if (x > 0) then do y() else do z();
>>
>> Is not conscious of some property of x (whether it is positive or
>> negative), at least when the two different functions y() and z() cause the
>> program to enter different states.
>>
>> I find it harder to justify the consciousness of a program that did not
>> do any selection, distinction, or inspection.  In most programming
>> languages, this is done using a conditional statement, such as an "if
>> statement", a "while statement" or a "switch statement".
>>
>> Jason
>> ***
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>>    What plays the role of the abstract/platonic equation "if (x > 0)
>> then do y() else do z();" such that there is an actual referent to be
>> conscious of?
>>

> In my example, I was referring to any implementation of such a program,
> e.g. your own computer.

Right, but that goes against Bruno's Platonism (but it is consistent with
my own anti-Platonism). The hardware that is implementing the program has
(up to the Bekenstein bound) some specifiable properties that can act as
the ersatz 'self'.

>> Consciousness is consciousness of ...
>>

> There is no infinite regression, the program is conscious of some property
> of x, not conscious of its own knowledge of the property of x (in this
> example code).  Consider it as consciousness of a raw qualia like seeing
> one pixel of white instead of one pixel of black.

Exactly, no infinite regress!! But there can be some finite regress of 'I
am conscious of being conscious of...", just enough to get
some approximation of a fixed point, ala Kleene. This is why Descartes was
almost right with his "Theater" idea.