On 5/2/2013 4:12 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 5/2/2013 3:32 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

I'm simply pointing out that you may be under the influence of
christian morality even though you reject christianity. This is not
surprising, we grew in a western civilisation that was greatly
influenced by christianity. In this case I believe you are being
puritanical because you believe that certain pursuits are not worthy
because they do not contribute to the material common good. This moral
value is not exclusive to christianity, of course, but given that your
name is "John Clark" I would bet that that is where it originates
from, in your case.

It's not only not exclusive to Christianity it's not exclusive to religion.
It has been part of every human (and probably hominid) tribe since the
beginning of the species.
Not at all, humans are not social insects. We have a strong drive for
art, introspection and self-expression. Asian cultures have placed a
high value on meditation for millennia.

So did some Christian ones. But long before Christianity and even the development of Asian cultures I'm pretty sure that many hunter/gatherers considered time spent in contemplation that did not contribute to the tribe to be frivolous and unworthy. To say it's a Christian influence is as silly as saying the Golden Rule is a Christian idea, even though it was around for millenia before Christianity.

Many tribes developed their
religions and proto-religions around entheogens. People smoke and
watch porn. Western puritanism either rejects or highly regulates all
of these things.

Western puritanism also rejects murder. That doesn't mean that people against murder have fallen under the influence of Western puritanism.