From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Jul 3, 2013 3:59 pm
Subject: Re: Materialism and Buddhism

On 03 Jul 2013, at 20:46, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

Not to be a jerk, but can someone give us an example of non-materialism? Even
human thoughts is neurons and chemicals sizzling away in the skull.

This is your assumption. But Platonist believed that this view might be wrong.
And I argue that if we are machine, it ill be easier to explain the illusion of
matter to conscious number relations (like what computer handled) than to
expolain the illusion of consciousness to material things.

Is not Ontology a discussion on what exists?

Yes, and with comp, you can consider that only 0 and its successor exists, and
that they obey to some laws (succession, addition, multiplication: that's
enough). Then you can prove in that theory that all pieces of computations
exist, and that matter appears, in the conscious relative numbers as a stable
illusion, obeying laws, etc.

(Epistemology is what is knowledge or what do we know? If I remember right).

Yes.

 Can it then be said, via math that non-material objects exists?

They certainly exists in the logical sense: that we can prove that prime number
exists once we accept that 0 exist.
Does it really exist? But that is a new notion, and if you use it you have to
define it.

If no intelligence is alive to perform the neuron actions sufficient to
comprehend or even search for the non-material, then perhaps it cannot exist?

With comp we can more easily define intelligence in arithmetic than in physical
terms.

Don't take this as true, but arithmetic gives an example of rational, objective
idealism, where matter apperance can emerge from infinities of number relations.

Other idealism exist by assuming that the fundamental reality is consciousness,
or God, or whatever considered as being outside the physical realm.

Bruno

Mitch