On Fri, Aug 16, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> >> If the goal of Artificial Intelligence is not a machine that behaves
>> like a  Intelligent human being then what the hell is the goal?
>>

> >A machine that behaves like a intelligent human will be subject to
> emotions like boredom, jealousy, pride and so on.

Jealousy and pride are not essential emotions but any intelligent mind MUST
have the ability to be bored because that is the only way to avoid mental
infinite loops. Any intelligent mind must also be familiar with pleasure
and pain or it won't be motivated to do anything, and have the ability to
be scared or it won't exist for long in a dangerous world.

> > This might be fine For a companion machine, but I also dream of machines
> that can deliver us from the drudgery of survival.

Once an AI develops super intelligent it will develop his own agenda that
has nothing to do with us because a slave enormously smarter than its
master is not a stable situation, although it could take many millions of
nanoseconds before the existing pecking order is upended. Maybe the super
intelligent machine will have a soft spot for his primitive ancestors and
let us live, but if so it will probably be in virtual reality. I think he'd
be squeamish about allowing stupid humans to live in the same level of
reality that his precious hardware does;  it would be like allowing a
monkey to run around in an operating room. If Mr. Jupiter Brain lets us
live it will be in a virtual world behind a heavy firewall, but that's OK,
we'll never know the difference unless he tells us.

> > These machines will probably display a more alien form of intelligence.

Even now we sometime encounter an intelligence that seems alien. The Nobel
Prize winning physicist Hans Bethe said there were two different types of
geniuses:

1) Normal geniuses, those in which we feel that we could do the same as
they did if only we were many times better. Beta said that many people
thought he himself belonged in this category.

2) Magicians, those who's mind is so different that we just don't have any
idea how on earth they managed to come up with what they did. Beta said he
would put Richard Feynman into this category; Feynman said he would do the
same for Einstein.

> >> a machine that is more intelligent than humans.
>>

 >That's when things get really weird.

A machine that is more intelligent than any person could be will be the
last invention the human race will ever make.

  John K Clark