>> I don't see what the sense of self has to do with it...

Hi Russell  ~ In the sense, that by having a "sense of self" we have
inescapably already separated our "self" from any possibility of seeing from
the perspective of a universal point of view... the all that is and can be.

Naturally this is a matter of perception and we all exist within the set of
all that can be and is, but we perceive ourselves as having identity, and
identity is per force a perspective on something larger in which the
identified thing operates and belongs to, but from which it considers itself
separate and distinct. I use it in the sense -- so many ways to use that
word; hope it all does not come out as nonsense :) -- in the sense of how
our own perceptual lock-in, to viewing the universe from the perspective of
our own beings, is a fundamental limitation we have by nature of being. It
is very hard to get beyond ourselves to put every event and how we interpret
the streams from our senses out of becoming bound up with this
self-referential optic that we superimpose on the world impinging on us.

I do not see how a universal being could experience itself as having  a self
-- at least in the limited way we experience it. I am a believer in the
importance of our self-centered beings for what that's worth and clearly at
our stage in evolution we require it -- not selfish (hopefully), but
centered within a self, a self who perceives and who at least believes they
are imbued with free will.

But this is way off topic and I am wandering into what could easily lead off
into a whole other area that can be an endless discussion.

>> I may be missing your point entirely, but humans are universal machines
in the sense that they can emulate perfectly any Turing machine, given
enough time, patience, paper and pens for external storage.

True and perhaps in theory possible, but in practice as soon as we begin to
deal with ever increasing volumes of external systems, especially ones that
respond to events and pressures to change, from multiple arrays of sources,
it grows geometrically harder to synchronize and manage and to keep stuff
like reentrancy from happening.  So in practice I think this breaks down at
some stochastic threshold and the problem mushrooms out of control as the
bookkeeping effort required begins to overtake the value of each increment
of extra external inclusion into the set of things that need to be kept
tracked of and taken account of.

Cheers,
-Chris