On 09 Sep 2013, at 20:42, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> I do not like very much Feyerabend, and disgaree with its overal philosophy of science, I do agree with him on Galileo.

OK so let me get this straight, you agree that "the church at the time of Galileo was much more faithful to reason than Galileo himself",

I did not say that. Nor did Feyerabend. We were just saying that concerning the precise point that galielo should have accepted that it was theory, not the truth per se. In this orecise case, perhaps by chance, the Church was asking to Galileo to be ... Popperian.

Of course the Church itself was not Popperian nor rational, as I mentioned.

you think somebody wanting to burn somebody else alive for saying the earth goes around the sun is much more faithful to reason than the scientist who said it. Bruno, at this point I really don't want to hear any more crap about "comp", right now I just want to know if that is what you're really trying to say.

Being provocative is all well and good, but not to the point of stupidity.

> Galileo was blinded

Blinded? BLINDED!? Were talking about Galileo and the church but it's Galileo who was blinded!?

Yes, he was blinded by its Aristotelian faith that what we see is automatically the truth. Today we know that science proves nothing about reality, but it can refute theories, and it can provides evidences for theories, but not automatically the truth.

In that precise case, by a sort of chance, the Church was correct against Galileo, from a logical perspective. Of course, Galileo was very plausibly less wrong than the Church on the content of the theory, but that is not what Feyerabend was discussing.

Bruno

This is yet another thing that gives philosophy a bad name, I may have heard stupider remarks in my life but I can't think of one right now.

John K Clark