On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 02:03:15PM +1300, LizR wrote:
> On 30 September 2013 13:58, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
>
> > The reason it doesn't make the will a slave to randomness, is that the
> > will is random in its essence. There is no self-other distinction
> > between the will and the random source.
> >

> I don't see this. The random source here is the laws of physics, surely? So
> unless you identify your will with physical law, the self-other distinction
> is merely hidden - the source of your random decision lies inside the
> evolution of the state vector, or whatever it is.

I'm complete missing your point here??? The self-other distinction is a
1p thing, not part of physics at all. There are no persons in
physics. Even when talking about the self-other distinction in (say)
bacteria, it is our modelling that makes the bacteria a distinct
system from its environment. Physical interactions reach through the
system boundary as though it weren't there.

What does it mean for the self-other distinction to be hidden? It is
most definitely visible in the 1p view. Also, the evolution of the
state vector is unitary and deterministic, not random.

> But I admit I'm still reading through the paper, so I may change my views
> once I manage to do so. I've almost reached section 3, at which point I am
> hoping to discover why it's called "Knightian" randomness - I'm hoping it
> has something to do with Knights and Knaves! :D

Hah! Sadly, no. It is named after Frank Knight, who wrote about the
concept in the 1920s.