On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 04:39:28PM +1300, LizR wrote:
> On 30 September 2013 16:18, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >  On 9/29/2013 6:03 PM, LizR wrote:
> >
> >  On 30 September 2013 13:58, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:
> >
> >> The reason it doesn't make the will a slave to randomness, is that the
> >> will is random in its essence. There is no self-other distinction
> >> between the will and the random source.
> >>

> >  I don't see this. The random source here is the laws of physics, surely?
> > So unless you identify your will with physical law,
> >
> >  Why not?...with the physical function of your brain and body.  What about
> > the deterministic part...it's also from the laws physics.
> >
> > I may not have put that very well, but what I want to know is, how is this
> supposed to stop the will being "A slave to randomness" ? It seems to me
> that Russell is saying that if you throw dice, you're a slave to
> randomness, while if you move the dsce inside your head (so to speak) you
> aren't. I suspect I'm missing something obvious here, it wouldn't be the
> first time.

"Throwing dice inside my head" is part of me, part of the entity
making the decision, using a dice thrown externally to me is just
abrogating my free will to an external agent.

This would be true regardless of whether randomness is involved. If I
make my decisions depend on the output of a cuckoo clock (to borrow
John's phrase) I am equally abrogating my free will.

Cheers