On 9/29/2013 6:03 PM, LizR wrote:
On 30 September 2013 13:58, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au <mailto:li...@hpcoders.com.au>> wrote:

    The reason it doesn't make the will a slave to randomness, is that the
    will is random in its essence. There is no self-other distinction
    between the will and the random source.

I don't see this. The random source here is the laws of physics, surely? So unless you identify your will with physical law,

Why not?...with the physical function of your brain and body. What about the deterministic part...it's also from the laws physics.

the self-other distinction is merely hidden - the source of your random decision lies inside the evolution of the state vector, or whatever it is.

But I admit I'm still reading through the paper, so I may change my views once I manage to do so. I've almost reached section 3, at which point I am hoping to discover why it's called "Knightian" randomness - I'm hoping it has something to do with Knights and Knaves! :D

It's name after a man, Knight, who suggested it.

No virus found in this message.